{ 76 comments… read them below or add one }

+2 Vote -1 Vote +1Jake
September 24, 2010 at 12:31 am

1. How will the course help you and/or your family?

My wife and I understand things will get very tough in the US going forward… we are eager to learn and know the best way to short-circuit the learning curve is to learn from a pro… Reading books, audios, videos, tutorials, blogs etc are ways to get ‘one-on-one’ with someone and utilize them as a mentor… your course is a superb example of this… I have always been a ‘self-improver’ and reader…

2. What is the biggest reason you need the course?
While EMP/CME or Natural Disaster could happen, an economic collapse seems almost inevitable… We believe we have less than 5 years to get ‘bullet proof’ so we believe we should treat an economic collapse similar to an EMP – the aftermath of civil unrest – but with ‘power’… If our country can survive hyperinflation the preparation we get from your course will steady us for bigger threats… We are now ready to start taking action – it would be better to start with a clean slate as we are now and do it proper than to piecemeal a plan.

Actually, a couple… from one newsletter – “Preventing Robbery and Home Invasions” – a great tip was viewing my home as a thief or intruder might… I have trimmed bushes… looked in windows for ‘enticing’ targets… we are good now… and I find myself noticing neighbors or other homes as I drive through residential areas… it’s amazing how easy it is to see the super big screen TVs… heck, with many, I could pull up a lawn chair in their yard and watch along with them and they’d never know!

Another great tip: “top 10 72-hour kit mistakes” was having a spare pair of shoes/underwear/socks in you car when you’re wearing footwear that won’t help you in a distress situation. I’ve got a really cheap pair of shoes with great rubber soles from Wal-Mart that make a great locomotion option if I need to go walking with my feet…
_______________________________________

here is something I’ve experimented with as a way to cook or make fire… you can look on Craig’s list for Plasma TV’s that are being given away because they have a problem.. I have gone and picked up a couple and hauled them to my home… taken the front screen off and rescued the Fresnel lens that is installed to magnify the picture. This will be the size the TV screen. So, if you pick up a 42″ TV you will also have yourself a 42″ Fresnel Lens that can be used to harness the solar energy and make fire, heat or cook with…

A Fresnel lens is flexible plastic or polymer type material and it has concentric rings if you look close…. This is what magnifies the image and it is also what magnifies the sun’s rays… With a Fresnel that large you can focus the sun’s rays just like you would with a simple magnifying glass – BEWARE – a Fresnel can heat up a spot the size of a quarter enough to melt a penny! It is very, very powerful and can start a fire in a matter of seconds… a piece of lumber will burst into flames when you get it properly focused… so please use caution – never leave it out in the sun without supervision…

You can make a ‘frame’ to mount it on out of lumber – use a ‘chalk board’ type design – the kind that supports the board at the half-way point so you can rotate lens to make it easier to track the sun…

In the dead of winter me and my buddy boiled a pot of water from room temp to boiling in 7 minutes and it was very cold outside (23 degrees F)

If you search on Youtube you can see many experiments on how powerful a Fresnel Lens can be… the Fresnel’s the size you get from giant screens typically sell for $100 or more… why pay for them when people are happy to let you haul them off when they quit working… hope this helps…

Cheers,

Jake

Vote -1 Vote +1Shawn M
September 24, 2010 at 8:33 am

Hi Jake!

For a “pocket version” of your lens…use a coke can, and a piece of chocolate.

Let the chocolate get semi soft, so that you can put some on a rag, and start rubbing in circles the bottom of the can. Chocolate acts as an abrasive and will slowly smooth the bottom enough to almost a mirror finish, except that its concave.

If you place a piece of tinder, paper, what have you, at the correct distance for it to be focused, it will start a fire for you.

I’ve actually lit a cigarette, (when I smoked), during the winter this way.

Shawn M.

Vote -1 Vote +1Bob
September 24, 2010 at 9:11 am

Can’t I just use kitchen cleanser? I have better uses for chocolate……

Vote -1 Vote +1Jake
September 26, 2010 at 5:13 pm

shawn, very cool idea… really McGiverish!

Vote -1 Vote +1David Morris
September 24, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Great tip on the Fresnel lens. I’ve got a 48″ one and it’s awesome. It has a line of focus rather than a point of focus, so it “only” gets up to 550-650 degrees. If you find one that size with a point focus, they can hit 1100 degrees!

A note on the smaller, wallet sized ones. You can get them with different magnifications…2x, 4x, etc. 4x is the smallest you want to go for starting fires with that small of a lens…and even that is tough.

Vote -1 Vote +1Jake
October 1, 2010 at 1:41 pm

Hey David,
there are actually two types of TV fresnels… the one you have that has a ‘slot’ focus and there are some that have a ‘dot’ focal point… generally about the size of a quarter… luck of the draw…

Vote -1 Vote +1David Morris
October 1, 2010 at 2:14 pm

Hey Jake,

You’re right…I actually chose the “slot” or “line” focal point rather than a dot focal point since I wanted to use it for heating/cooking and not for cutting and need the BTUs dispersed anyhow.

Vote -1 Vote +1Shawn M
September 24, 2010 at 8:26 am

Two things I usually see missing from “survival lists” that I think should be on top, and are affordable, regardless of budget are:

1. Matches! You can get a 3 pack of kitchen matches in the big boxs at WalMart for under 2 dollars. Then seal these inside a large kitchen bag!! This will keep out moisture, which over time can ruin them, and also keep them dry incase of a flood. One box you could also seal the old fasioned way with wax!

2. Clorox bleach, EVERYONE should have a couple gallons of this sitting in their emergency supplies!! It can be used to purify water, disinfect food prep surfaces.
Its one of the few disinfectants that will kill the HIV virus!! Using just a 10:1 water:bleach mix!! A few drops in a pint or two of water, works better than iodine!, 40 drops in a gal. etc.

One of the biggest hazards I see in a long term survival situation is sanitation and fire making abilities. Most people won’t know how to do them without the hot water heater, stove, electricity, etc.

Just a thought!
Shawn M.

Vote -1 Vote +1Acorn
September 24, 2010 at 9:07 am

Make sure you rotate your bleach. After time it degrades into salt and water.

Vote -1 Vote +1Ben Martino
September 24, 2010 at 11:06 am

Acorn’s right… bleach breaks down in a few months… plus it starts when it’s first made, and you don’t know how long it was sitting on a shelf before you bought it… the best way to purify water is to bring it to a rolling boil…. As soon as it’s boiling… shut your fuel off you don’t need to waste fuel by continuing to boil it….

Vote -1 Vote +1Rick
September 24, 2010 at 12:14 pm

Also, along with the bleach which is definitely a good idea. You should keep a couple of bottles of Peroxide in the house as well. It has soo many uses right down to mouthwash, and of course cleaning small wounds of dirt. VERY cheap as well….less than a dollar a bottle. Also, next time you have a big wood working project, go ahead and buy a couple extra long, 8′ or so, of treated lumber of various thicknesses, 2×2, 2×4, long thin ones…hehe. I have a small stack in my garage on the floor, not in the way of anything, of extra lumber that I could use in a pinch to “harden up my house/windows”. Also, I made a wooden shelf system that I could always disasemble to use as well (remember there can always be many uses for ANYTHING).

Also, as far as doors go. the screws supplied with the frame are rather short where the door is hinged onto the frame of the house. Substitue at least 1 of those scews for a 2-3 inch one for each hinge. I also add another on the opposite side and the top of the door that all go deep into the frame. You cannot even tell they are there.

I have a house built in the 70’s and one of the doors was rotting. I was horrified, amazed, and happy (since it made it much easier) that as soon as I took the trim off to replace the door and frame. The whole frame fell out the other side. Can we say cheap construction? Well, I wonder how many other houses have issues like that. They didn’t even use wedges etc. Anyways, noone is kicking in that door since it opens to the outside and is completely bolted onto the house now in all directions. The hinges would take hours to cut through. The door was meant for opening to the outside, and it is a steel door.

Also, consider using a door lock obviously along with a chain on doors that it is viable. Why? Because even if they have to pick the doorlock(s) and you don’t hear them, when they get to the chain they will HAVE to break that which more than likely you will hear. Double protection.

Rick

Vote -1 Vote +1Scott
September 24, 2010 at 12:32 pm

If you do use bleach, it’s 8 to 16 drops per gallon, depending on the cloudiness of the water. Add the bleach, shake, and wait 30 minutes. If the water does not have a slight chlorine smell, repeat the process using half the original amount of bleach. Remember – chlorine bleach is poisonous if too much is ingested. Never leave bleach unsecured in an area that children have access to.

Vote -1 Vote +1David Ludowese
September 24, 2010 at 8:27 am

cannot find activated charcoal………..where should i search

Vote -1 Vote +1Becky D
September 24, 2010 at 9:23 am

David L
I’m wondering if the charcoal sold at fish supply stores for aquarium filters is activated. Don’t know for sure, and it would be a small amount, but maybe it is. Anyone out there know for sure?
Becky D

Vote -1 Vote +1orly152
September 24, 2010 at 9:36 am

Try Pet Supermarket, Petsmart, Walmart, or any other pet store that sells fish aquarium supplies. The activated carbon comes in small bags or even loose in plastic containers.

Vote -1 Vote +1Robert
September 24, 2010 at 9:36 am

That is another source. It is technical (low) grade.

Vote -1 Vote +1Robert
September 24, 2010 at 9:34 am

That depends on what you need it for and how much you need. You could buy it from a chemical supply house. That would cost about $20US per pound plus shipping. Or, you could buy it from a bulk chemical supplier which would be about $0.80US per pound in truckload or greater lots plus freight. Or you could make it which would cost you some time. Be aware that activated charcoal purchaces can get you watched by Big Brother as a party interested in illegal manufacture of controlled substances (drugs).

Vote -1 Vote +1Lee&Lynnn Ridenour
September 24, 2010 at 8:38 am

Really like what I read here today. Were can a person find out about pumps for deep wells that won’t break the bank. As we are retired and on very limited resources and have a well that is our water source. We live in the country and don’t have city water. Lee

+2 Vote -1 Vote +1Dale
September 24, 2010 at 8:43 am

I would appreciate being considered for the SurvivalinPlace guide for the following reasons: #1. It will enable my family and myself to learn some of the incredibly important skills necessary for surviving should SOMETHING happen. Presently, we have little to go on. These are not skills that are even thought about for the most part where we live. It is time to wake up to the reality of the hour. #2. The biggest reason we need the course is: we have small grandchildren that have no chance of surviving without help-the kind of help we could give IF we knew the right things to do. Honestly we don’t yet have those skills. #3. so far I have learned the skill of making the char, stock piling non-perishables, fire starting and I need to move on to water purification. That is critically important in that we live in a desert like region where water is not that abundant. All in all, we would be in a position to help many other people should something happen and in the mean time we can help them by getting them prepared. I do not consider training like this something to be hoarded. It must be shared with as many as possible! And thanks for the opportunity!

Vote -1 Vote +1Ben Martino
September 24, 2010 at 11:14 am

Dale you mentioned you live in a desert like region where water is not that abundant.

A good idea to do right now… get some clean barrels and put them out to collect rain water when and if it does rain there…. then cover the full barrels and store them…. Start collecting the water now !

Vote -1 Vote +14lifejo
September 24, 2010 at 8:45 am

I believe in preparation for life events–and catestropic events. I have a few books and supplies; however, I know that there are always ideas or information that I might not have privy to and have become a researcher.
Your site has given me a pause–because my locale would prevent me from leaving home in some cases and I appreciate your ideas especially the psycology of being aware of my neighbors, choke points, etc. I did a search for “refineries” and almost fell off my chair.
I look forward to your weekly newsletter and the info that you present.

Vote -1 Vote +1Shelley
September 24, 2010 at 9:03 am

1. The course my family with playing to prepare us for what is to come. All the ideas I’m reading I would like to put into action.

2. The biggest reason I need this course, I have two children to watch out for!

3. Stock piling is already in process.

+2 Vote -1 Vote +1Gloria Graham
September 24, 2010 at 9:09 am

Please consider me for the free survival skills course. I am 68, caretaker for my Mom, 90, living in rural stuation and am concerned for natural disasters and economic collapse. I have already started to stockpile, observe and practice situation analysis as well as creating emergency kits. Though handicapped (wheelchair), I believe I can overcome difficulties and care for my family by careful planning. Last year during ice storm, I was able to prepare hot meals using canned sterno in my oven (door ajar) from resources on hand and keep my Mom’s spirits up so I know personally how preparedness helps. Thanks for all the good information!

Vote -1 Vote +1Rick
September 24, 2010 at 9:16 am

1. This course will help me and my family learn skills that we can use to make the best of a bad situation if worse comes to worse.

2. My biggest fear would be an economic collapse.

3. I have learned a lot about survival through your newsletters and website. I feel the things I learn the most form them are the commen sence stuff that you don’t realy think about, and that you bring to mind. Living in Missouri with the threat of tornados and ice storms, I find the most usefull information to be the go bags and things to keep in your car just in case.

+1 Vote -1 Vote +1Margaret
September 24, 2010 at 9:19 am

Morning Everyone:

I’m a newby to this site.
After reading so much information, with so much duplication, I really need to step up the preparation to a much higher level. The basics I understand.

The biggest reason for the course is to learn, experience and pass on information to others. It doesn’t matter what disaster comes our way, we all need to be prepared with a plan. I live in a manor home which is described as a condo with 4 units in the building and 4 attached garages. (2 units ground level-2 second floor units) If I decide to stay put in any emergency, I need information on how to fortify and teach my neighbors how to stay safe and keep our building safe.

Recently I have made the investment in my future by purchasing, heirloom seeds, a solar generator, Berkey water filter, 1 years worth of GMO Free dehydrated food, and I have stated dehydrating organic fruits and vegetables as well. I have stored top soil and small planting containers so planting can start early. Also “Junk Silver” which is NOT junk has been purchased. All things that can be bartered if necessary.

The next few things on the list is a chemical toilet, weapons, a flat top 1 hole wood burning stove, and about 5 cords of wood since I live just outside Chicago. I’m serious about preparation however, I really need to step it up to a higher level for all our sakes.

Take care and thank you for your information.
Margaret

Vote -1 Vote +1Robert
September 24, 2010 at 9:23 am

On your course:

1. I have been a serious student of survival / preparedness for over 40 years. I am VERY interested in what you have to say on the matter. Unfortunately, I cannot afford your course anytime soon (probably at least a year). I live a prepared lifestyle and have for years, but I am always interested in what others have to say on such things if they appear to be serious themselves and you do. What I have seen I find impressive.

2. I am interested in all hazards preparedness. I prefer a balanced approach and so I do not focus on any one hazard to the exclusion of all others.

3. I am new to your newsletter and so I could not say that I have implemented any of your ideas. As for preparations: I have prepared for many contingencies attitudinally, informationally, and physically. I already know quite a bit about preparedness, but I am always interested in learning more. Please choose me.

Vote -1 Vote +1Mad Dawg
September 24, 2010 at 9:39 am

I would say the 1st survival skill to start practicing would have to be conservation, it will not only be a cheap way of preparing yourself for a survival situation but actually will save you money. In a survival situation we may not have running water so one way to practice this is filling up the sink with water while doing dishes instead of letting the water run. Another way is one night a week have a game night either using only a lantern or candles. These are only a few examples of saving money & preparing for a survival situation. The 2nd survival skill I would suggest is to practice navigating techniques, it’s cheap, but can even be free. The public libraries carry books on survival, reading compass & maps, orienteering using only the stars, backpacking & other books that can be of much use in a survival situation. Even The Weather Channel has a show call, ” How Did I Survive” or something very similar to that name that can be help prepare a person for a survival situation. Thanks again David for another great article. I really do want to purchase your course but I’m currently not working but I know there are others that want & need the course more than I. Thanks to the student from Missori who donated a free copy of the course & congratulations to the winner.

Vote -1 Vote +1Pat Murray
September 24, 2010 at 10:02 am

I am finding this very informative and appreciate the opportunity to learn here – thank you!

I am compiling research I did on the shelf life of supplies. Some things don’t last long – others do. Some maintain their primary value but might chane in texture or something like that. I try to think of us getting blasted back to circa mid-1800’s, and I work at imagining how I would carry on, and what others might need that I can stock pile for use in bartering. Learning skills like first aid, haircutting – and acquiring those supplies as I can affrd them. Learning how to repair things. Also studying nutrition, food preservation techniques, kitchen compostng, herb gadening near my sunniest windows, and am creating an edible landscape around my place. Checking to see what grows without lots of attention, and building a stockpile of hardy seed. I keep copies of Eagle Scout and Army survival manuals. Learning what can substitute for most common meds. Acquiring materials to use to continue children’s education, thinking of how life’s little milestones could still be celebrated – wedding, new baby, and etc. How to communicate in ‘code’ with others. Again, thanks for this site!!

Vote -1 Vote +1Dolores
September 24, 2010 at 10:13 am

1. I feel prompted with a sense of urgency to prepare for things to come. Not knowing what exactly is to come I think it best to learn a broad range of survival skills and am very pleased to find your website and learn everything I can do to be ready for whatever comes. This program would be a real blessing for me.

2. My Faith in God is the source of the prompting that I sense and so it is out of obedience to the Lord Jesus Christ that I am pursuing the opportunity to recieve this course.

3. I have started to further stockpile and purchased a few extra groceries this week. I will be making the char cloth this afternoon. I think I may have an old satalite dish in the garage that I will also experiment with this afternoon if the sun comes stays out.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom!!!

+1 Vote -1 Vote +1Zack
September 24, 2010 at 10:24 am

1. How will the course help me and my family?
As the leader of my family i know that it is my responsibility to make sure that they are prepared physically, emotionally, and spiritually. And i believe the best way to prepare is to practice each one of these. From what i have experience from your course is that it gives an absolute workable plan for preparation and how to apply it to today’s life situations as well as preparing us for what may come in the future.

2. The biggest reason I need the course?
Is to be a part of the solution and not a part of the problem! no matter what the world throws at us. The more I know and the more my friends and neighbors prepare, the better off my family will be and the better off my community will be. After all the more we can take care of ourselves and each other, the less we will require from our state and our nation.

3. The skills and practices I have already put into practice that i’ve learned from the Urban Survival Newsletter?
The coarse has me looking at my neighborhood in a whoel new way. Im looking at who is walking the streets and im making eye contact with them! i have learned that some of them are very friendly and share the same desire to be prepared. i have also started to identify some of that may be potential threats to our home and safety. The simple tips on stockpiling has given a whole new outlook on organizing my preparations! i no longer am putting 6 bottles of catchup in my basement but am stocking up on the things i need and use on a regular basis and it is already proven to be convenient and more flavorful! And i have saved alot by finding bargains i didnt even think of looking for before the coarse.

I cant thank you enough for sharing your knowledge with everyone and im hoping that together we can all live better. Because survival isnt about barely getting by. Its about Living Life Well even when the world is turned upside down.

Zack,
Spokane, WA

Vote -1 Vote +1Randy
September 24, 2010 at 10:24 am

This is an article I thought you would be interested in. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7990997.stm

[David’s note: It’s a story from 2009 on foreign countries hacking the US power grid. The grid is actually much more vulnerable than this story suggests.]

Vote -1 Vote +1Paul Moore
September 24, 2010 at 10:43 am

1. How will the course help you and/or your family? —I’m the only one in my family who sees the warning signals firing in place & screaming at us. It’s vital I understand what to do and pass along to my family.

2. What is the biggest reason you need the course? EMP? Economic collapse? Infrastructure attack? Cyber attack? Natural disasters? Something else? —ALL THE ABOVE – lol. Economic collapse already in swing with our Govt printing money in the back rooms, Terrrorists wanting to kill us, every time we go against God’s people we have a “natural” disaster. Lots of things working against us these days.

3. What skills or practices have you already put into practice that you’ve learned from the Urban Survival Newsletter? Right now reading up & learning, just about to stockpile food & water, some medicine such as Colodial Silver.

Vote -1 Vote +1Margaret
September 24, 2010 at 11:09 am

Hi Paul:

I’m so happy you mentioned Colloidal Silver. It can be purchased on Amazon or you can purchase the machine to make it yourself for just pennies for the gallon. The machine is about $399.00 plus shipping.

Just wanted to mention also to always have sodium ascorbate. (Vitamin C)
(NOT vitamin C supplements) For additional information please see the link below.

Also, Gelatin Hydrolysate, (collagen) which is sold in dry powder form and offers 90% protein. You can buy it at http://www.gelatininnovations.com/

Vote -1 Vote +1Marcus
September 24, 2010 at 10:46 am

If a massive solar storm knocks out the grid (which is not a matter of if but when) or a more likely economic collapse occurs the first two months will be the most dangerous for all. What I fear the most is that if there are marauding gangs of desperate hungry people and they cannot get into your house or a few of the gang members are hurt or killed trying how would you stop them from simply torching your house from the outside. I guess this is not a worry if your dwelling is made entirely of brick. You better be prepared to take the offensive and be able to see outside before they try to torch your house otherwise you will be faced with not only trying to put out the fire but also at the same time shoot all that you suspected are carrying a lighter as you flee the smoke filled interior of your once secure sanctuary. The metropolitan areas are not going to be a good place to be if a large scale event occurs unless you have a couple thousand rounds of ammo and two armed sentinels at each end of the top floor of your house taking 12 shifts to watch for intruders. This all of course is a worst case scenario but there is a bright side most all of the unprepared starving masses would most likely die from dehydration and starvation or cannibalism within the first month or two the ones that are left that are hitting houses will most likely be the most dangerous however few their number would be. Hope i never see it in my life time. All I can do is vote out all establishment one world government treasonous traitors and vote in only those that would sign an affidavit saying they would abolish the Federal Reserve Bank and restore the constitutional rights that are slowly being taken away from the citizens. The large banks (some are foreign) are manipulating politicians to spend us into serfdom and debt along with the military industries that profit from war and guess who pays that debt to the banks that bring our currency/dollars into circulation you and I and our children’s future if there is one after they are through with us. Long live Alex Jones at infowars.com

I swear to defend the Constitution of the United Sates of America to the best of my ability from all enemies foreign and DOMESTIC!!! 70% of our elected federal public servants have broken that oath repeatedly.

Vote -1 Vote +1George
September 24, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Amen to that Marcus. I do too.

Vote -1 Vote +1Rick
September 24, 2010 at 1:13 pm

Very very true (mostly the weak and unlucky will die first, etc). So, since mostly stronger and more adept people will be left, that means you will need to rely on the best tool you have for survival (your head). Basically, everyone who would be left is to somewhat degree a survivalist or has been with someone who is, are just plain downright lucky, or who have been using brute force to get what they need, etc. So, you will need to be better at “strategy” and using your head than the next person whether it be to “outsmart” them by any means, set traps, negotiate, use superior firepower, or to flee will depend on what your predicted odds to success for you and your family are.

Rick

Vote -1 Vote +1David Morris
September 24, 2010 at 3:38 pm

You might want to read an article I wrote on the situation you’re describing: http://secretsofurbansurvival.com/140/when-the-shtf-cities-will-burn-not/

In short, people won’t resort to canabalism within days of a disaster. Torching neighborhoods will happen in some areas of some cities, but history shows us that it won’t be widespread.

After an EMP or other disruption of the electrical grid, it will be more likely to have accidental housefires due to creosote in chimneys, candles falling, or camp stove fires than arson.

I want to be clear…I’m not attempting to paint a rosy picture…just trying to get people to look at this through the lens of what has happened in other cities/societies that have broken down.

David

Vote -1 Vote +1jeremy
September 24, 2010 at 10:48 am

I practice tracking animals in the near by woods. It is a great “free” survival skill. you don’t have to kill anything, just learn what is around your area. stalking and tuning into the surroundings are great skills to sharpen that require no $, only time.

I also volunteer to my landlord to clean out his rental properties after a tenant moves out. I have found all kinds of usefull items at no cost. He also pays me for the clean up.
The extra $ I make for it I invest into my preps in some way or another.

Having the internet at your disposal is a great tool to research. looking for how to do first aid, identifing wild edibles, identifing animal prints, making soap, & you can google virtually anything pertaining to first aid or survival. Utube videos on survival basics like making fire drills, personal defense & anything else requiring visual aid to learn. It’s all out there to be found at a price your already paying for if your reading this news letter. (thank you Dave for providing it)

Vote -1 Vote +1stuart
September 24, 2010 at 11:08 am

1. How will the course help you and/or your family?
My family and I moved to South Dakota shortly after 9-11. We were living in Virginia, within about three hours of New York, less to D.C. and this was the start of our ‘survival in place’ mindset. We now live in a very small town and started raising a garden a few years ago. This course would help us understand our shortcomings and help to learn how to shelter in place.

2. What is the biggest reason you need the course?
I began asking the elected officials from SD about three years ago what would happen if the dollar collapsed. I was concerned that people, like me, who still owe student loans, would be placed into ‘debtors’ prison. I have asked them this question three times over the last four years but not one official has responded. This is my main reason for wanting this course. The information would help us to shelter in place.

What I can say is that we grow a garden every year, I try to maintain ‘situational awareness’, keep my plans quiet so that people won’t show up in an emergency, and, most important of all, in my opinion, is to collect books on every subject that I can think of that can be used in emergencies. These books range from medicinal plants to building; from craft books for the children to raising animals; from edible plant identification to school books.

Vote -1 Vote +1Mary
September 24, 2010 at 11:14 am

David,

I am a Mother with one small child, when I was in college I had a job working with “troubled youth” in a wilderness environment. This experience (like others with military or other types of experience) opened my eyes to the fact that our society is a paradigm created by us in order to enforce our version of a “social contract”. The experiences I had living in the wilderness with a bunch of “troubled” (emotionally disturbed, drug addled, anti-social, and sociopathic) kids changed my perception of reality, and the way I view people, life, and social inter actions forever. In my case I have found that we have changed from a country and a society of people who can take care of themselves and “pull themselves up by their bootstraps” to a propagandized flock of sheep waiting to be rescued, or, led to the slaughter.

I am not a sheep, and I do not plan on being “led” anywhere.

I am concerned about the myself, my family and my friends, but now that I am a parent I am especially concerned about my child and other children.

The Urban Survival Course would help myself, my family, and those in my personal circle by expanding our knowledge, skills, and understanding. Furthermore, it will help spread the information that will hopefully strenghthen our society and our country by taking responsibitity for ourselves and taking control of our own destinies.
The biggest reason that we could all benefit from this course is a basic collapse of society as we know it. I am concered about an EMP and would like further information on hardening my home. I am also concerned about natural disasters (earthquakes) and specifically a ‘bug out plan” because I live in a community below a dam. But, having the course will help me/us prepare for all of the different contingencies.
Third, I already have some of the skills from the newsletter, I stock up on food and supplies, I have some basic disaster safety plans in place, I have a disaster kit in my vehicle (people make fun of me for carrying around all the stuff in my car), and I organize my family and friends in giving practical gifts (like sleeping bags, and good winter boots etc..) In fact, I am thinking that your Urban Survival Playing Cards would make a great and inexpensive Christmas gift! I get my neighbors and friends interested in food preserving and other “old school” skills. I haven’t had to build a bow drill fire or use char cloth in a long time, but my husbands military buddy thinks it’s “cool that a chick does this stuff”, so we are planning a fire building skills day so I can teach them both how to make char cloth and bow drill fires. I would use this course to further my own skills and to teach my friends and family and those I come into contact with. I work with a lot of younger single gals, and I am constantly working with them on safety, emergency supplies, and self reliance.

There are two very basic points that I would like to make on survival in any setting.

1) YOU are the biggest determination in your own survival. YOU need to make the choice to survive and then come up with a plan to make it happen. No one else can do this for you.

2) Make a plan-This plan should have the basics like; food, shelter, fire, water, etc.. but your plan should be for you and your circumstances. Take ideas from this course and from other people, but your plan should be by you, and for you and should be adaptable in case of changing circumstances.

I am very pleased to have discovered your course and all of the useful information, and would like to be considered for the free course. I would make good use of it bother personally, and within my sphere of influence. Thank you for doing this.

Vote -1 Vote +1Mad Dawg
September 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm

Good luck with the contest Mary, if David has us vote you are definitely getting my vote. I have a lady friend that’s just getting into the whole prepping biz & I would love for her to gain knowledge from other fellow women survival preppers. Keep up the great work.

Vote -1 Vote +1David Morris
September 24, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Mary,

Some of my guiding was with “troubled youth” in a wilderness environment too. I never got over the stories I heard from 12-14 year old recovering meth addicts. The stories of what their parents, relatives, and others did to them were amazing.

And yes, it completely opened my eyes to just how thin the thin veil of civility is that covers our society.

I am very glad you wrote all that you did.

Thanks,

David

Vote -1 Vote +1Yvonne
September 24, 2010 at 11:29 am

How will the course help me and my family?
We have already started to prepare for awhile now, however there is so much information to be learned. I feel we have some serious weaknesses in our preparedness and would like to learn how to fix or expand on those weak areas.

What is the biggest reason you need this course?
My biggest concern is economic collapse. I don’t feel we have much time left (a few months) so I need to know how to spend my money the most efficient way. Water is a weak area for us along with storage space, defense and we are on a tight budget.

What practices have you already learned from the urban survival newsletter?
Well I just started getting the newsletter so I haven’t had a chance to put into practice the suggestions yet. I like the advice on practicing making fires. I want to hear more about making my home more secure. I am going to the link to read more about the water filtration etc…
We have started stockpiling food and supplies, some medicinal preparations, and some backup fuel for cooking when the electricity goes out, and general education.

Vote -1 Vote +1Michael Santos
September 24, 2010 at 11:47 am

Hi David I do not need to win the Course because I already have your course, I would like to win your survival playing cards, I think the most important fact for surviving is our Mental Health and the Will to survive, I have a few Games in my Survival Equipment to help deal with the Stress being in a survival situation or just having something to pass the time if the Power goes out,

the next things I think are important to have are a way to Filter and Purify Water, Fire making skills and Tools, Cooking tools, a good Riffle for protection and to Hunt for Food, a Fishing Rod and other Fishing Gear, and a couple of Books on edible Plants and survival skills,

I would also like to say that I think this has been one of the best emails I have received from David, and to hope for the best while preparing for the worst.

Mike from Orlando Florida

Vote -1 Vote +1David Morris
September 24, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Hey Mike,

Thanks for your comments…all great points!

You didn’t hit the two specific skills I was alluding to…want to try again? 😉

Vote -1 Vote +1Trent
September 24, 2010 at 11:51 am

I would like to be considered for the free Survive In Place book, and have things I have been doing to prepare:

I personally believe we have 2-5 years before total econimic collapse or something worse due to our government. Some of the things I have started to do is get back to basics. The basics for me are 1) Water, 2) Food, 3) Shelter, 4) Medicine, and, 5) Defense. I have broken these things down seperately:

1) Water- I currently refill plastic 1 gallon juice & milk jugs with water from my tap, and keep these stared. In the event I am not able to take them with me, I do keep purification tablets I got from Wal-Mart. I have read other suggestions about keeping bleach for purification as well.

2) Food – Cans of food with lots of protein, carbs and that can be stored for long periods of time are key. Tuna in water, Dry pasta and marinara in a jar, crackers, canned veggies high in nutrients, Canned beef stws, etc…. One thing many people overlook is that the human body needs salt to survive as well. I have purchased iodine salt for storage as well.

Seeds are also very important for survivalbiilty. I have gone to garden centers and purchased seeds, and also from on-line seeds companies. Organic seeds are recommended, and storage is a cool, dry place is very imporatant so that they are viable for future use.

3) Shelter – Shelter is a tough one since most are of wood construction, and wouldn’t hold up well to possible small arms/gun fire. My plan for this is a concrete monolithic dome, and recommend everyone og to http://www.monolithic.com to view these amazing homes! David South is the inventor of these homes, and I have studied the contruction of this type of home, and feel this type of house is perfect for survival. This is the only home that FEMA will approve for Florida hurricanes. The houses are hurricane, tornado, fire, and small arms fire proof. They are nearly indestuctable, and can actually be buried underground as well. If you’re serious about survival, these are the homes for you. You can also see one at http://www.domeofahome.com. I also recommend having secret hiding places within home as well. One of the best I heard of was a “false drain pipe” where valubles were stored, and criminals would never think to use. Be creative on this one. I also keep on hand a tent, tarps, rope, and an air mattress with a foot pump should I have to leave in a hurry.

4) Medicine – I hear a lot about how “the government” wants you to turn in your old pharmacy drugs, or rid of them by flushing them down the toilet. I personally refurse to do this, and won’t this to our government who got us into this mess in the first place. I keep my old antibiotics & pain meds, for future use. I also ask my doctor and even veterinarian foe bandages, tape, suture, and any other medical supplies that might help in a survival situation. You might be able to trade these items for things you don’t have. and might need.

5) Defense – this is an imperitive to you and your family. I can’t stress “Defense” enough, and am a person who would only use a gun to defend my family and friends in an extreme situation. We as citizens NEED to not turn into animals when survival mode kicks in. We need to stay strong against those that don’t keep their heads about them. Keeping your head in this type of situation is key. Their is strength in numbers, and people you can trust. I have discuss with my neighbors about the “what ifs” should this country fall into a severe depression or worse. Approach this gently, as I have come to learn that most people don’t like to think about changes for the worse. Please remember that people are trying to survive like you, and to put yourself in there shoes. violence never ends well.

These are a few things that keep me semi-prepared. Warm clothing, good hiking or work boots, and the ability to stay dry are paramount to survival as well. I purchased ponchos, hand-crank flash lights, a solar shower, a knife and machete, warm socks and wool hat, a compass, flint, and a magnifying glass to start fire as well. Hope these suggestions help all that read you web page, and that are serious about survival.

Vote -1 Vote +1Margaret
September 24, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Hi Trent:
I would never suggest to throw active or expired prescription down the toilet. The water that you drink or bath in from the facets is not cleaned or filtered to remove these medicines. Stay away from flouride and chlorinated water, it harmful to your health as well.

Get the Berkey water filter with the additional floride filter.

But the presence of so many prescription drugs — and over-the-counter medicines like acetaminophen and ibuprofen — in so much of our drinking water is heightening worries among scientists of long-term consequences to human health.

Why Fluoride Should Be Banned From Our Drinking Water

The Negative Health Effects of Chlorine

Vote -1 Vote +1David Nakata
September 24, 2010 at 11:51 am

I would like to be considered for the free copy of the Surviveinplace.com Urban Survival Course.

1) and 3) the course will help my family ( wife, twin 13 year old boys and 10 years old daughter) and I in many ways. We are huge fans of the survivor man, man versus wild, man woman wild, duel survivor and the colony. From watching the show and learning ideas we have made fire with, flint and magnesium, battery with steel, and magnifying glass ( my daughter is the expert with that one).

Just the other day, I was over at my parents house explaining to them how to make fire with potassium permanganate and glycerol (antifreeze) but have not tried it because I have not acquired any chemicals yet. I have tried the bow drill, and other techniques but have not been successful at it. It is my hope that the course will help to increase my success rate and be able to teach my family. My daughter already is the fire making expert in her girls scout group. My parents and my brothers family are now starting to “think” about survival and plans. It is my hope the course will help me on how to discuss and articulate why we should have a survival plan in place.

We have not made char cloth but it is NOW on my list of things to do.

Solar heating is another one on my list. I have tried to make fire with a concave item ( headlight) but did not have success with this technique either.

I have not hunted with my family. I have shot many robins, “tweety” birds, etc with a BB gun but haven’t trapped ANYTHING so I would look for guidance on trapping with the course materials.

I have not made a water filtering device but it is another item on my agenda.

Stockpiling and negotiating we do on a frequent basis. My wife calls me a “pack rat” so gathering food is something that has been quite easy for us.

I have started putting together my micro, car and home survival kits but still wonder if I have everything I need. The course will help me to determine this and help others with there survival options.

2) I guess the main reason we need the course is to get and be more prepared. Whether it is a natural disaster, economic collapse or something else the course will give us insight on what we are missing and what we already have in place. It will also prepare us on how to survive and how to help others survive.

+1 Vote -1 Vote +1Wendi
September 24, 2010 at 11:52 am

1. How will the course help you and/or your family? am a grandmother who is taking care of my four grandchildren and a husband who has dementia and trying to be prepared for who know what may come to protect them …

2. What is the biggest reason you need the course? EMP? Economic collapse? Infrastructure attack? Cyber attack? Natural disasters? Something else? for any type of terror attack or meltdown in the government

3. What skills or practices have you already put into practice that you’ve learned from the Urban Survival Newsletter? to have a 72 hour or longer bag ready for each family member, with importantant papers , food, herbs and medicine..etc…..

Vote -1 Vote +1Larry M. Smith
September 24, 2010 at 12:02 pm

This imformation is vary importantand good for people in stationary homes.MY concern is for people who live in R.V. like my wife anthatd I. any imformation on that life style would be greatly appreciated. thankyou Larry

Vote -1 Vote +1David Morris
September 24, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Hey Larry,

There are several particular survival concerns that RVers have–extreme vulnerability being one of them, but skills are skills are skills. All of the survival skills mentioned above are important, regardless of whether you live in a house, apartment, RV, or are a road warrior.

Vote -1 Vote +1Margaret
September 24, 2010 at 4:25 pm

Hi:
I would suggest a dog to alert you if anyone is on your property. If you don’t already have one.

+1 Vote -1 Vote +1Scott Cox
September 24, 2010 at 12:04 pm

1. How will the course help you and/or your family? My family consists of myself, my wife, and my 5 kids. Our largest concern is that we live in a very rough part of town, my wife is disabled by MS, Fibromyalgia, and degenerative nerve disease, and the safety of our children. That, and being out of work leaves my options pretty limited. I think the course will help me find options and help devise a plan that we can afford and will work.

2. What is the biggest reason you need the course? EMP? Economic collapse? Infrastructure attack? Cyber attack? Natural disasters? Something else? Our largest concern is economic collapse and civil unrest. That an the fact we live in a tornado, hurricane, and though it has been 100 years, an earthquake zone.

3. What skills or practices have you already put into practice that you’ve learned from the Urban Survival Newsletter? We have started putting together some of our supplies, and have set up our communications and meeting places in the case of an emergency. We have learned a lot thus far, but have much more to learn. We have even incorporated the newsletter in our home school reading with our teens .

I greatly appreciate the newsletter. It has really opened our eyes to what can happen, what can go wrong, and what we need to survive. Thank you!!!!!

Vote -1 Vote +1Deborah
September 24, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Dear David,

I naturally would love to receive this course free, but realize that there are more needy persons than myself. We are getting by, even though we are now helping another family member that has recently lost his job. I just want to stay in contact with you to say that, if everything pans out, we will be purchasing your course at the end of the month. I truly appreciate what you are doing in helping to get others ready for what may be on the horizon. I look forward to receiving your email every day and am using the information sent.

Thank-you,
Deborah

Vote -1 Vote +1Deborah
September 24, 2010 at 12:43 pm

In replying to what my preparations have included are: 1). We have purchased property, off-grid, in a location that gives us hundreds of acres of national forest land with which to hunt and a large river to fish. 2). We have been acquiring/purchasing supplies and have a storeroom full of food, complete with bins for relocation. 3) We have the moving van ready for transporting supplies that will commense when our root cellar is completed. 4) We have been raised on the farm that has taught us skills in animal care and food preparations. Also, gardening and canning as I had lived for several years off-grid.

The course will help tremendously in learning how to survive our current situation in the terrorist dangers and possible financial collapse of our country.

Again, I am not looking for your free course as I am able to purchase. I just wanted to chime in on where we are in our preparadness strategies. We are very thankful for the survival knowledge that you possess and are sharing with the world.

Thanks!

Deborah

Vote -1 Vote +1Ben Martino
September 24, 2010 at 12:45 pm

MONEY SAVING TIP~

Chances are you’re already using SOS pads or something like them in your home…

When the soap is all used out of them… people throw them away…. DON’T ….

Let them dry out and save them… they are perfect for grabbing and holding a spark… whether you are using flint & steel, a lighter or a match… they will burn very hot and for a while too… place one of them in your tinder and you should have no problem starting a fire… even with damp wood…..

Old 9 volt batteries still have “some” charge in them even when they wont power an electrical device any more because they’re too weak…..
There may just be enough charge in them to cause a spark when touched to steel wool pads… try it ! Another good way to start a fire and use old stuff at the same time saving you money !

+1 Vote -1 Vote +1Mark Smith
September 24, 2010 at 12:47 pm

1. How will the course help you and/or your family?
We are a one income family of five, and have recently lived through disater. A little over a year ago, I lost my job of 9 years in the mortgage industry with one of Atlanta’s biggest builders, lost my house, my savings, & more. We simply weren’t prepared, and barely survived it. After many months, I was fortunate enough to get a new job & relocated my family to Arkansas. I read (a lot) and believe the country hasn’t seen the worst yet. I now see that it is my DUTY as a father & a husband to be better prepared, but I need help. I am also a Scout leader at my church, and would love to share what I learn with the other dads & their boys.

2. What is the biggest reason you need the course?
I believe the biggest risk our nation faces is a financial collapse which could lead to an economic depression. I’m concerned about potential shortages on things we take for granted, and how to prepare for that possibility. I hope this doesn’t happen, but I want to be better prepared. Security had never been high on my list, but from my new perspective I now find myself looking for ways to get more secure/prepared all the time. We are still shell-shocked from what we went through, and I don’t want to be caught unprepared again.

Yesterday and this morning as I traveled from work to home & back again I watched people a little closer, and I looked for danger areas as recommended. I’d like to try making my own char-cloth for fire starting, and put together a water filtration system as described in today’s issue. We are new at this, but over the last several months we have been trying to get better prepared. We have now eliminated all debt. We have stored up a few days of food, water, & basic supplies. We got a small generator, bought extra fuel, and bought extra ammo for hunting & defense. I also created a basic medical kit from scratch, and have put together a small 72 hour survival kit for my family. Sense reading this newsletter though I can see that I’ve only scratched the surface, and on our tight budget we need more guidance to get it done. With my new outlook on the world, I need to take this course; in fact, I would devour it.

Could the other survival skills that you are looking for involve growing your own garden, canning/jarring food, self-defense, or maybe addressing medical needs? How about faith & attitude? How about group effort with like-minded friends, family, & neighbors? Clothing? Tools? How about entertainment to ward off the mundane? Those are my best guesses. Take care.

Vote -1 Vote +1David Morris
September 24, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Bingo, Mark! You hit one of the two VITAL survival skills I was looking for with “faith.”

Faith in a higher power and an eternal perspective on life, loss, and disasters acts like a stabilizer…not only in good times, but also in survival situations.

Vote -1 Vote +1Sandra M.
September 24, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Hello,

This course would be especially helpful to me and my family as two of the five of us are disabled with an neurological hereditary disease, my feet, my brother’s hands are all but useless and I’ve had one foot amputated. I don’t tell you this for any pity it might generate, but, to let you know that I recognize that my and my brothers survival will be much more difficult than normal folks.
The one thing that woke me up was 9-11… all the handicap workers were staged on one floor of the towers and unless someone physically helped one of them down the stairs, ALL died in that staging area when the towers collapsed! I don’t want to be completely dependant on others for my or my brothers survival.
I’ll have adapt some of the things in this course for my use, but, having been a part of the Boy Scouts of America for 10+ years I have learned new and fun ways of doing things!
I know it is a matter of time before the Govt. does something to set us back to a point we might not recover, at least in my life-time. I live in a rural area next to a lake and a dormant volcano so the scenarios of survival are always in my mind.
As for skills I was an LVN/LPN before my disease actively stopped me physically, but the knowledge is still there; I grew up with a Grandfather that raised and slaughtered his own animals (cow, pig, chicken) so thast not new, just an unused/rusty skill; I took a class in canning 2 years ago to refresh my knowledge of that; I know how to garden on a small scale; I was a Red Cross CPR/1st Aid trainer and taught that skill to many Boy Scouts.
The one thing beyond this course that is my most desired to learn is local edible/medicinal plants and herbal medicine in general…. any big disaster might wipe out our ability to get or even manufacture current drugs folks rely on, the suffering/death that would incur just hurts to think about.
Please, if anyone has tips for the disabled for survival, I would appreciate it and share with other too!!
Than you for your consideration.

Vote -1 Vote +1Cindy Brown
September 24, 2010 at 1:17 pm

1. My husband and I are retired. We have three grown children who have children of their own. We live relatively close to one another. We are concerned about the future of our country and have been stockpiling food for a long time. However, we have no plan in place for a disaster scenario and would like to be prepared to take care of all of our family in a crisis.

2. Our biggest concern is an economic collapse leading to civil unrest and violence/

3. I’ve just received the third free mini-course. I’m impressed with the suggestions about learning to read people. It’s something that I think I do to some extent automatically, but it would be great to be able to get the rest of the family to start paying attention as well. The suggestions about fire-statrting were very enlightening. Hadn’t thought of the bow drill, or the blowgun or slingshot. Very good suggestions.

Vote -1 Vote +1John R.
September 24, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Please consider me for this giveaway. I am new to this site and the newsletter, so I have not put much of anything to use…yet. I was and still am working on several things that were mentioned in the newsletter, but I am hungry for more information.

1. This course will help me and my family survive and help others no matter what situation we find ourselves in. That pretty much sums it up in my mind. My wife and I have 5 young children, and we want to not only learn these skills but also pass them on to our kids.

2. The biggest reason I need this course is because as is usually the case, the more I learn about survival and the skills needed the more I realize how much I do NOT know. I know there are so many possibilities as to what could go wrong, and I also know that I can’t prepare for every contingency. However, I feel that this course will help me gain more capabilities that I can use in survival situations in whatever form they take.

3. Over the past two years, I have taken my 3 oldest children on a survival camp that a gentleman here locally puts on every year. He teaches things like fire by friction, edible plant identification, medicinal plant use, building rock ovens, make and deploying wooden fish hooks, etc. We have enjoyed attending and learning from him. I want to add to these skills especially in the context of surviving right were we are. We live in a small town, but knowing how to survive at home is just as important as knowing how to survive in the back country. I’ve also started gardening and have really developed a love of it which is a benefit my whole family enjoys.

Thank you for considering me for this giveaway, and thank you for all of the information you make available. I can’t wait to try the water filtration bucket. That’s next on my skill learning list.

–John R.

Vote -1 Vote +1Teddy
September 24, 2010 at 1:55 pm

1. How will the course help you and/or your family? We have children and grandchildren and are VERY concerned about the direction in which this country (ok, the entire world) is going. This course would better prepare me to provide for my family in the event that we need it (and it will also provide over all good skills in the slight chance that we DON’T go into a colapse!)

2. What is the biggest reason you need the course? EMP? Economic collapse? Infrastructure attack? Cyber attack? Natural disasters? Something else? We are more concerned at this point about an economic colapse, but an EMP is certainly not out of the question. Civil unrest is already here and some type of all out civil war could be on the horizon. Anyone who says, “oh, that could never happen here” is koo-koo nuts!

3. What skills or practices have you already put into practice that you’ve learned from the Urban Survival Newsletter? The first thing we’ve done is to start collecting food, water and supplies. With each paycheck we buy two metal gas cans. We buy foodstuffs when they are on sale. I am a recent subscriber so I have a LOT to learn….one great reason for me to take the course!

Vote -1 Vote +1Rick
September 24, 2010 at 3:04 pm

Please considermeforyour course give-away. Iamahusband and a father. I am new to this idea of survival,but have come to believe strrongly in it. I am new therefore we need all the help we can get. I have taken my wife and I to get permitsto carry a gun. We both own and practice the use of firearms for personal and family protection. We are stockpiling amo as we can ans also stocing up on canned,nonperishable food items and water. I use to backpack and hike on the AT and have a few skills for backcountry survival. Please again, consider us, we need all the help we can get.

Rick

+1 Vote -1 Vote +1Irene
September 24, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Please consider me for you course:

1. How will the course help me and my family? The course will help me and my family by being able to survive in case of anything from a natural disaster to economic collapse (which is coming sooner than we think) to an EMP attack that would knock out anything connected to modern technology.

2. What is the biggest reason I need the course? The reason I need this course: Both my husband and I are in our fifties, we live in an urban area, we rent so radical modifications to the house are out of the question, our money situation is very tight (I am unemployed, my mother is on social security, and my husband is self-employed), and we live very close where the “bad” part of town is. This part of town is beginning to encroach close to our area. We also take care of my 88 year old mother, so leaving is pretty much out of the question. We need to learn how to survive possible starvation and/or defending ourselves when society breaks down and it becomes “every man for himself”.

3. What skills or practices have I already put into practice that I’ve learned from the Urban Survival Newsletter? I have just begun receiving this newsletter, however, for several years I have seen trouble brewing and I have been planning how to survive. I have started stockpiling non-perishable food a little at a time. Every time I go to the store, I buy one or two items extra and put it on my shelf as I can afford it. I have always watched body language, but now I am becoming more aware. I am going to excersise watching people and their body language more. I am also practicing using my peripheral vision so I am aware of what is going on around me.

+1 Vote -1 Vote +1Veracity
September 24, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Hi David. This is really nice idea and thanks to the student in Missouri that made such a thoughtful gesture.

1. How will the course help you and/or your family:

We are a one income family of 6. We have four children, 7, 5, 2 and 1. I homeschool my seven and five year old. Needless to say, it becomes difficult sifting through so many survivalist websites, books, magazines, forums etc while balancing the curriculum of a kindergartener and a second-grader in addition to a potty training two year old and chasing my one year old all over. Money also becomes an issue because it seems there are so many things that you are told you need to buy and some paychecks just aren’t as easily accommodating to those purchases. I would like to know other ways. I was also attracted to your newsletters and books because I realized for the past two years my husband and I have been preparing, it’s been in a way that was more geared toward “getting out.” As I began to read things that you have written my heart began to sink as I realized this “plan in waiting” has so many loose ends that need to be tied. I’ve started to doubt how much we really know, how prepared are we truly? Would all the stuff we have stockpiled even matter? I think that your information seems to have a lot of common sense-type of approaches that are all amassed together in a way more easily accessible to me, providing exactly the information I am looking for to feel more confident about taking the right steps to ensuring our family’s safety. I’m sure, you yourself having young children can relate to or imagine the continual worry a parent feels about their children if God-forbid, anything ever did happen and you were not as prepared as you could be. I guess that is where I am at. I just want to know that I have learned as much as I can so my family has the best of chances. Surviving in place isn’t something (as crazy as it sounds) that we have focused on as much as we probably should have!

2. What is the biggest reason you need the course?

Honestly? All of the above. I think we most definitely are heading for a financial collapse, but the threat of terrorism is still very real, bio-terrorism…I mean at this point I can’t even say for certain what is going to hit us first. All I know is that I want to be capable and prepared for anything. I want to be able to teach my children so they can pass on to their children, and so on. I have family members that just don’t seem to understand yet the importance of all this, and they have kids. So the more information that I absorb the more I can pass on and hopefully give them a better chance of survival when they finally realize they should not have procrastinated so much.

Well, I just started receiving your newsletter two days ago, so I haven’t really practiced much yet. I did test out my peripheral vision and the whole 360 thing yesterday. I am definitely trying the char-cloth gassifier this weekend with my husband and kids. Just finished telling him I wanted to check it out. Oh I also want to work on “layering” our supplies based on the need for the type of situation. I have been wanting to put items into a bin for easy access to grab and go but it never occurred to me to set it up using a layer method, so thank you for that. Very terrific idea.

You asked for some ideas of things that you could talk about? This summer we grew an extra large garden so that I could begin learning how to save seed. I have been teaching my children this valuable information as well. Stored under the correct conditions, most seeds have a viability of five years and up. You would not believe all the seed we stored this season! I planted only heirloom, open-pollinated varieties. Seeds are invaluable in a survival situation, in my opinion and I think this is such an important thing for people to learn. Especially with the gmo take-over. I have always grown gardens, as a kid my parents grew them but never did I really know or even completely understand all that is entailed with saving seed, what to watch for, how to collect it, etc. Also, is it possible to prepare to have a garden that can be grown indoors (even through winter) if you are in a surviving in place kind of situation that may last a long while without access to a market and dangerous conditions to growing outside? Another thing I think would be great to touch on (and maybe you have I’m just not aware yet) is a top 5 or even 10 list of items to barter (that does not include silver or gold since not all of us have the money to invest in, not to mention if it would even matter in the most basic of scenarios)? So far we have water, booze, ammo, med supplies and seeds. Are there other items of equal value?

Thank you again for this opportunity and I wish all the best to everyone.

Vote -1 Vote +1John
September 24, 2010 at 3:56 pm

1) Well I have always been a believer in being prepared. I think it’s easy to take care of yourself with my military,camping, back country back packing and even rock climbing experience. I can handle most things. However last year I married, my wife has three kids. Now trying to learn how to prep for kids is not something I ever thought about doing. Learning how to prep for a family is a whole different ball game.

2) As for what I think the biggest reason for learning this is simple my family. Any number of events can occur that leave you in a position to either survive in place or bug out. While it’s true there is no way to prepare for all, finding out how to do so in a general way that be used to cover as many bases as possible should be achievable.

3) Most of the things need for prepping Are done by me. Storing food, water, building and maintaining bug out bags.However every year we take the kids camping teach them how to do different things. We go on as many trips as we can using each trip to educate them. In order to do this we have to keep up on our skills and learn new ones. Some of the things I learned early on are now outdated. Maybe there are better ways to achieve the same goals. I don’t think you can be prepared if you think you know it all and fail to continue your own education.

Vote -1 Vote +1Fred Bowden
September 24, 2010 at 4:05 pm

A couple of things for starting fire that I have are cig. lighters(free) also magnifing glass. It will start a fire in a few seconds

Vote -1 Vote +1Valerie Bate
September 24, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Another good source to look for items you can use is your local recycling center. They have stryofoam boxed (the kind steaks are shipped in) which I keep medical supplies in, spices, etc so I can store in my garage without too much problems with temp changes. Also last week I picked up 5 of the 5 gallon water bottles (think Arrowhead, etc) with the tops. I filled with water, put in 1/4 cup of bleach, covered the neck with a small plastic bag and put the old top back on (which had a small hole in it from the dispenser) My center also has a lot of books even some medical. Not to mention recycle your stuff 🙂 Another good item that burns really good is dryer lint! I have some in a baggy in my bob bag…..hope some of this helps!

Vote -1 Vote +1john
September 24, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I have been through 2 disasters and 1 near disaster before I finally got my head on straight and started preparing. I am 40, in the Navy and been through 2 hurricanes. The last near disaster was in Hawaii, I awoke to civil alarms and phone calls from state side telling of an incoming tsunami. No power, no coal, no extra water, you get the message. I prepare for my Naval service daily but have failed to prepare for the coming disaster awaiting us, whether it be EMP, financial or other wise.
1. How will the course help you and/or your family? I have an exceptional family member (anyone in the military knows the accronym) I’m not saying this for sympathy but because I can’t teach him the skills to survive I am his lifeline. with the course I can get my wife to see how truly behind we are in survival skills and prepare us both!

2. What is the biggest reason you need the course? EMP? Economic collapse? Infrastructure attack? Cyber attack? Natural disasters? Something else? We all feel it in the air, economic collapse is the biggest threat on the horizen. Nothing will seem wrong until you don’t get paid, the bank won’t release funds, grocery stores don’t accept vouchers, and the riots start. Cowering away in the house hoping the “government” will swoop in and save is will be a distant illusion. Being in the military now, I should be financially able to get the course, people on the outside looking in think it’s all good here, but when you have a son with scoliosis, heart disease, wife who can’t work because she takes care of him and other family you take care of money is scarce and you have to watch every penny. I need this course to be that light for others who need the same knowledge, I already have the leadership skills, I just need the survival skills so I can not only help myself but the rest of my community in the upcoming event.

3. What skills or practices have you already put into practice that you’ve learned from the Urban Survival Newsletter? One of the neatest little items I have nor is 0000 steel wool and a battery…instant tinder and fire starter. I bought seeds and froze them (I learned to plant underground stuff that looks like weeds and to grow it surrounded by weeds). My wife thinks it’s goofy but we now go to the mall and sit there for hours and people watch, we’ve learned a great deal from that alone! I practice fires, stay in great shape and watch every survival item on the “idiot box” that I get a chance to….so please consider me, I will definately put it to good use!

Vote -1 Vote +1CJ
September 24, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I am a single mom and a disabled vet. Needless to say, I don’t have a lot of money to throw around. I have been stockpiling food and ammo and trying to learn all I can about survival skills. I raised a garden and learned how to can with a pressure cooker. I also dehydrated and froze some of it. I really need this course to finish out my survival skills.
We live outside Cheyenne, WY—in the middle of missile sites. That probably says it all!
This is my first day to look at the course. I found the “spotting criminals” article very informative and will definitely put it into practice. I have to travel 25 miles to the library to access the internet, so a book would be great! Thanks

+1 Vote -1 Vote +1Marlene Adams
September 24, 2010 at 6:23 pm

I have felt an urgency to live off the grid and become prepared for a while now. i live alone and have very little financial resources, but have been doing without wants to set aside for future needs. I have been preparing for myself and for my two children if times get bad, which seems unavoidable watching the government destroy our country. a few things I’ve been doing are stock up food and water, buy water purifiers, fire starters, heavy duty sleeping bags, soaps, hygiene items, toilet paper, vitamins, non-GMO seeds and natural fertilizers, even bought a hand gun and am learning to use it. I’m looking for survival books now and copying survival information off the internet, like how to purify water and compiling it in a notebook. My goal is to move out a ways, with a well and back up energy, such as solar, but it all takes money, so not sure how far I’ll get with that. Time is essential and I’m not interested in reinventing the wheel, but to learn from those who already have done the research and lived the life. I sure could use some help, it’s tough going it alone, especially as a female. Thanks for being out there ready to help us before it’s too late.

Vote -1 Vote +1Marlene Adams
September 24, 2010 at 6:40 pm

adding to the previous blog…I would say the most vital survival skills would be how to purify water, for which I’ve purchased “pool shock” that will not expire like chlorine bleach to purify water or the charcoal, pea gravel method which are items easily available. how to start a fire, for which i’ve purchased a fire steel spark stick and have cotton balls and vasoine that can be combined as a starter as well as the method you taught making cotton squares into charcoal. You will need fire to cook and stay warm. even having a cook stove or wood stove would be a treasure. Stock piling canned and dried foods and soaps and seeds for sustainability. also protection, buy a gun and learn to use it. You have to have clean water, food, shelter to stay warm and some way to protect yourself.

Vote -1 Vote +1Betsy
September 24, 2010 at 8:40 pm

1. You can greatly increase the candle power of a tea light by sitting it on a mirror. I can read by several tea lights grouped on a 12 ” square mirror.

2. Galvinized metal trash cans with tight fitting lids are great places to store bulk food purchases. We seal bags of staples such as powdered milk and oats in large mylar bags and then stack them in the trash cans. Works great. When we open a bag, we pour the contents into plastic gallon containers that are easy to handle.

3. To save $, don’t throw your canning lids out unless they are bent or the rubber ring seal is damaged. I reuse mine on the food can in a water bath rather than a pressure cooker. If a lid doesn’t seal, I know it when I remove the ring.

4. During a week without power or running water last Dec, we kept a 2 gal bucket in our bathroom. We dipped 1 gal of water from our bathtub and dumped it all at once into the toilet bowl. Worked great.

Vote -1 Vote +1Michael
September 24, 2010 at 8:45 pm

1.  How will the course help you and/or your family?

The course will enable my family and myself to be better prepared for any disaster and to survive.

2.  What is the biggest reason you need the course?

In Los Angeles we have the historical precedents of earthquake, toxic spills, train accidents, urban unrest, fire, mudslide, flooding, and economic downturn in addition to the potential terrorist attack, EMP, economic collapse, and other unforeseeable events.

3.  What skills or practices have you already put into practice that you’ve learned from the Urban Survival Newsletter?

Immediate practice of situational awareness and of the “whatif” of my local surroundings for things that can and will go bad.

Have initiated building my 72 hour kits for home and car and building my prioritized list of essentials, basics, and recommended items for acquisition.

Vote -1 Vote +1Mary
September 24, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Just wanted to pass along a few more tidbits: six hours of direct sunlight will sanitize drinking water. Cotton balls partially covered in petroleum jelly make good tinder.

Vote -1 Vote +1Dan
September 24, 2010 at 10:00 pm

1. How will the course help you and/or your family?

We want to be prepared! Once a Boy Scout always a Boy Scout! I am also a Navy Vet. While we are organized, logical people, we are scared for ourselves and our families and in the process of preparing to survive in a post “event” environment. However the task seems mind boggling and overwhelming. Right now, our plan and focus changes as we read new things. While being new to the site, what we have seen thus far will provide a broader view than we have had to date, and provide us with a priority based focus on the essentials all in one place. This will help us move forward in an organized fashion not overlooking any important issues with a single focus.

We live in a flood plain in close proximity of 5 or 6 major Eastern cities, so all the issues above are of concern to us. We always focus on issues caused by storms, flooding and infrastructure damage caused by them. Our primary focus and most imminent concern is the inevitable economic collapse. However, now that I describe our physical location and review the issues described above, and think about the EMP issue and Cyber attack (which we have not fully considered), it re-affirms our need for comprehensive training.

3. What skills or practices have you already put into practice that you’ve learned from the Urban Survival Newsletter? The course isn’t just another book to read…it’s a course to help you build proven life saving urban survival skills to help you survive urban survival situations and enrich your lives in the meantime. I want to make sure that you’ll be someone who takes action with the materials if you are chosen as the winner.

Again we are new to your site, but I have already started to practice your situational observation and protection planning techniques. We have developed shopping lists from your newsletters for things we have yet to consider stocking up on. We have to do lists to research longer term issues mentioned. We have shared your e-mails with family and friends. As far as what we have accomplished in preparation to this point. We have begun to prepare to be ready to bug out, or stay put as the need be for an extended period. We have stored food, water, paper goods, tools, medicines, matches, fuels, alternate cooking means, batteries, light sources, manual powered devices, water filtration systems and are planning means of protection of our property, family and home. We have inventories by expiration dates for stock rotation. We have secured cash, precious metals and other items which can be used to barter. It is a long slow process being retired and on a fixed income, but it is a priority, out of need and peace of mind. We are also coaching family and friends to the extent they are receptive.