Welcome to this week’s Urban Survival Newsletter, Sponsored by SurviveInPlace.com and this week, by Tim Larkin’s Target Focus Training.
Home invasions are currently a very real threat in the US and are likely to increase in frequency as the enconomy slides. Of course, in a civil breakdown situation, the number of occurances will likely skyrocket.
We’ve seen proof of these last two statements in Argentina when their economy collapsed and in New Orleans after Katrina.
But really, how big of a deal are home invasions right now?
Well, think about this. We’re told that every bedroom in every house in the US SHOULD have a smoke alarm and every house in America SHOULD have at least one fire extinguisher. Schools have firemen come in once or twice a year to use children to get parents to change the batteries in their smoke detectors and to run fire drills at home.
How often do residential fires happen?
The National Fire Protection Association reports 403,000 residential fires in 2008, or about 1,100 per day.
On the other hand, Department of Justice statistics show 5,000-8,000 home invasions reported every day. That’s right, there are 5 to 8 TIMES more home invasions every year than there are residential fires!
I want you to think about something here. Which do you think is more likely to be under-reported–minor fires that the homeowner might get insurance money for OR a home invasion where the criminal gets run off or threatens the homeowner if they talk?
I don’t have any hard numbers on this, but I’d guess that a much higher percentage of fires get reported than home invasions.
So, what do you do about this? As I keep saying, don’t worry about it. Bad things are either going to happen or not happen and simply wasting time worrying about them isn’t going to change a darn thing.
Action is the only thing that’s going to make you less likely to get attacked and action is the only thing that will protect you in the event that it happens, so let’s look at what you CAN do.
I dedicate an entire lesson to this in the SurviveInPlace.com Urban Survival Course, but one of the best things you can do is to use common sense so that you aren’t an attractive target. Five quick ideas to consider:
1. If you have an alarm, make sure that you have signs/stickers prominantly placed around the house. If not, buy some fake ones, print your own, or get one/some from a neighbor who’s recently switched companies.
2. Use motion lights around your house. I particularly like the ones that turn on dimly at dusk and turn on bright when the motion sensor is tripped.
3. Make sure that your locks not only ARE solid but LOOK solid from the outside.
4. Keep valuables placed where they’re not visible from open windows. It AMAZES me when I walk around in the evening and am able to clearly see people’s big screen TVs from the street.
5. Practice trash discipline. If you DO get a new big screen TV or a new computer, cut up the packaging small enough that it will fit in your garbage bin or a black plastic bag. If it was shipped to you, make sure to remove the address label with your name/address on it before putting the packaging on the street for pickup.
What to do if a home invasion happens:
I also talk about how to run home invasion drills in the course, and here are a few big tips:
1. Identify household objects in every room that you could use as improvised weapons if you do become the victim of a home invasion.
2. Do home invasion drills. One key to making this work well is to have the person who is playing the role of student be the attacker. In other words, if you’re a man and doing the drill with your wife, have your wife play the role of the attacker and tell you what your response should be. Why? Because if you keep “attacking” your wife and showing her why everything she’s been told to do on Oprah and The View, she’ll likely get frustrated very quickly. (My apologies to all of you women who don’t watch Oprah and The View.)
3. Be pleasant, but always ready for strangers knocking on your door to be looking for an oportunity to attack. In Argentina after the crash, there were several instances of people putting on utility uniforms of one sort or another, going to a house in a neighborhood, taking it over, and then using it as a base to systematically invade the other houses on the block. If possible, talk to strangers through the closed door, through a window several feet away from the door, or through an intercom system.
4. Act as quickly as possible. The more time your attacker has to restrain/control you, the less likely you’ll be able to cause a safe outcome for you and your family.
5. As a foundation, you’ve got your body to use as a weapon. Learn the best parts of your body to use as weapons and the best targets to attack to “flip the switch” on a home invader. If you’ve got cutting/striking tools or a firearm, that’s a bonus…they’ll help you penetrate your strike further and engage your attacker from further away, but if you’re comfortable without anything other than your body, you’re always armed and ready.
And, if you haven’t figured it out already, in my opinion and experience, the absolute BEST “self defense” training you can get for violent encounters is Tim Larkin’s Target Focus Training.
For those of you who tried and were unable to order this week, I apologize. We had some technical issues this week that were simply baffling. My email company sent out one email in the middle of the night instead of during the day, that same company changed the links somehow so that they worked for some people and not for others, and the page on Tim’s site did some REALLY weird stuff. In any case, the page is loading correctly now, it’s showing all of the bonuses that you will get as a SurviveInPlace.com hotlist member, and if you have any troubles at all, you can call 888-234-2192 to order by phone.
I’ll tell you right now, Tim’s stuff isn’t cheap. But who wants to trust their life to a “cheap” survival tool? Just like a quality firearm or other quality survival equipment isn’t cheap. It isn’t cheap, but it IS a bargain for what you get. They’re giving my readers an incredible deal through Saturday night. In fact, they’re including 7 separate DVD courses/books/training certificates for less than what one of the courses regularly sells for on it’s own! (It’s a 63% savings overall)
This isn’t like buying a case of ammo that you’ll use once or a handgun that you might have at arms reach half of the time. This is the same hand to hand combat training that the Navy SEALS and the super elite SEAL Team 6 has officially used to turn their highly trained warriors into human weapons in a few short hours of instruction. In short, you’ll watch the material once and lock in the knowledge for a lifetime.
To see more, please go to: https://m260.infusionsoft.com/go/HW/DM/ Remember, this special offer will only be good through Saturday.
We’ve also got a couple of great articles by Henre’ Neville that you should check out:
“Tools that normally aren’t in people’s tool boxes” http://secretsofurbansurvival.com/entry.php?26
“Things to stash in your car”
Until next week,
To read my other emails/articles on Target Focus Training, including, “Why My Wife Clawed At My Eyes,” “What SEAL Team 6 and I have in common,” and “You Don’t STILL Practice Punching for Self Defense, Do You?” please go to http://www.SecretsOfUrbanSurvival.com.
P.P.S. Yes, I sell stuff to help you get prepared. Just like with
TV, radio, and newspapers, this free weekly newsletter is
supported by paid advertisements. In this case, it’s supported
by my own products. You don’t have to buy anything, but it sure
makes my wife and sons happy 🙂 In case you didn’t know what all I offer,
here’s a quick summary:
http://SurviveInPlace.com / http://UrbanSurvivalGuide.com : This
is the comprehensive online Urban Survival Course that over 2000
students have gone through. There’s currently no other book or
course available like it. It includes several advertised and
unadvertised bonuses and an ever increasing number of lessons
from the audio version of the course. At the end of the course,
students have an option of receiving my book, which includes all of
the advertised lessons in the course, or additional lessons. To see what
other students have said, go here:
UrbanSurvivalPlayingCards.com : Every go-bag and 72 hour kit
should have a deck of playing cards in them…and if you live
near other people, that deck of cards should be a deck of Urban
Survival Playing Cards. These decks have 52 urban survival tips,
tricks, and secrets that you’re likely to forget under stress
that could make the difference between surviving a disaster or
becoming a victim.
My book, “Urban Survival Guide”, which is available on
Amazon.com. Click on the picture below to buy it now.
This week Amazon is bundling it with Ben Sherwood’s
“Survivor’s Club” which is also a great book. We share a lot of
the same thoughts on survival psychology and the bundle is a
If clicking on the picture doesn’t work, here’s the direct link: